Saturday, March 12, 2011

We have chickens????

We have chickens.  One night I was visiting with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and next thing I know....I  have chickens.  When opportunity knocks, you run with it.  Being the spur of the moment kind of people; who honestly do better when we don't think things thru, we ordered chickens with my sister-in-law.  I wanted 2 brown egg laying chickens and two green egg laying chickens.  I'm not sure why, but I have always loved green eggs.  They are so beautiful.  Mother natures' Easter eggs.

February 14th rolls around and we get the news..."chickens are here".  Now what?  Um....what are we doing??  Moment of realization we don't have a clue what we are doing.  Thankfully, we know people who do.  Learn as you go, I say.  There's nothing more motivating in learning than the NEED to know.  So, we now have four lovely chickens who are growing from one box to the next and living in my house.   Yes, I have chickens living in my house.  I'm sorry, but I really think this is weird!  I remember when my dad would pick up fertilizer for the garden and it stunk.  And that fertilizer came from the back end of a chicken.  I have invited that into my home.  Someone check and see if I have a pulse.

Four people in the house, four chickens in the house.  So, we all named one.  One brown one is named Kip (chicken in dutch).  The other brown one is Pollo (chicken in spanish).  The black one is Petit Oiseau (little bird in french) and the white one is Colonel (No translation necessary unless you've never eaten at KFC).  We have some very creative people in our house. 



Funniest moment so far....
My daughter, after hearing the chickens cheeping like crazy, went quickly in to check on them.  It became obvious what their terror was all about.  She found our 18 pound cat sitting by the box, peering over the edge.  I would be scared.  That cat is a beast with VERY long teeth.  That had to have been a King Kong movie moment for chickens.

I have one complaint, other than the smell......chicken feet.  They honestly, totally creep me out.  I don't know why.  But when I go in to check on them, I have to consciously tell myself, 'Don't look at their feet!  DON'T LOOK AT THEIR FEET!'  And then, I do because ......I don't know why I do!  But my stomach rolls I get nauseated and have to leave. It's like being told as a kid not to look into the sun because it will burn your eyes and so you do, because burning eyes sounds irrational.  Creeped out by chicken feet sounds irrational.  Call me irrational.

No comments:

Post a Comment